Tuesday, July 16, 2013

stand taller: girls camp and a wedding with very tall cousins

hate to say it like this. Girls Camp is probably my most dreaded week of the year, besides the last week of the term. as you probably know, I just really don't like camping. I don't care that we're in cabins. it's still like camping. there's still bugs. there's still dirt. it's a whole freaking week long. it's either really hot, or it's raining. and we always go to Mia Shalom, which is in a high altitude and people really do get altitude sickness up there. also, this was my first girls camp without my mom (I don't really count Japan because that was only 1 night. this one was 4 nights), and I admit to struggling with homesickness. it was kind of really embarrassing because there were these first year (12 year old) girls without their moms, and they showed no sign of homesickness. and we have me, age 15, who misses her mommy more and more everyday. and everyone knew. so it was really hard, even though I have friends. my hair was really greasy and smelled like fire. all I wanted to do was shower. and I don't think I slept at all. but oh well. I was not excited to go at all, but I knew that I was supposed to be up there and that it was the right thing to do, so we can't really argue with that.

the first day we just did crafts and intro to the theme, Stand In Holy Places But Stand A Little Taller. awkward because the only girl shorter than me in our ward is a 13 year old.

the second day, we did waterfront and all the really fun stuff. Camila and I matched. (unintentional.) the 2 of us and Sabrina had a really fun time splashing the poor little beehives and throwing water balloons at them. we got really soaked as well, but it was really fun. we went to workshops later, and those were pretty great. one of them talked about fighting like a girl, and how we have to fight to do the right thing in this world and make the right choice. we have to be prepared.
the day after that, I was really sick. at first, I thought I was dehydrated and so I thought that resting and drinking more water would help. it did, briefly. then we did yoga, and that helped me relax for about 15 minutes. but for the whole day, I just felt absolutely horrible. all I wanted to do was take a nap. but with the beehives being noisy upstairs, couldn't get any sleep in. I got dragged to a workshop about trials and how they can really strengthen us and help us come closer to the Lord. it was an excellent workshop, and I tried to focus on that, but it's hard when you feel like crap. to make it worse, there was some fancy stake activity where we sing to the trees. this one was different because one of the Priesthood leaders spent 250 hours constructing a replica of the Nauvoo temple. it looked amazing, and it was all lit up. and everyone seemed to be feeling the spirit. by then, I was really discouraged because we were all singing and usually, I feel the spirit through music. I love singing the hymns, it makes me feel happy. but nothing could bring me peace. I was praying the whole time, but I only felt worse. finally, I just decided that I had done all that I could, and that receiving a Priesthood blessing would be the best option at that point. but then, the closing hymn was The Spirit Of God, my favorite song. I started to feel a little better. so I talked to one of my leaders, got a priesthood blessing arranged, and we walked back to the pavillion and I was feeling a bit better. at the pavillion, there was a surprise. and this probably changed my night.
a few weeks ago, Wesley went to this thing called "Camp Iron Man", similar to girls camp but for boys ages 12-18. ok, they were more spoiled, they were closer to Provo, they got better food, and from what Wes told me, he had a blast. but while they were there, they filmed this video. (Wes appears in the large group around the chorus, wearing the red baseball shirt. I enjoyed his dance moves). and in case you don't know, I love One Direction. I'm not as obsessed as I was a year ago, but I still love them. a lot. enjoy.
I was really happy, and I felt a lot better! It changed my night, and I was more cheerful. then, I received a really amazing Priesthood blessing, giving me the strength to carry on and reminding me that I could finish out this girls camp. and I felt a lot better. so for a while, I was in this happy spiritual mood, but then the Beehives upstairs were putting on some beauty pageant and wouldn't be quiet. when it finally did get quiet, I heard a thumping noise by the window. I looked up, and this GORILLA was standing there, banging on our window. scared the crap out of all of us! the beehives didn't even see it, and they freaked up. we had to send Haley up to read them a story. after that, everyone fell asleep.

finally, on Friday, my mom and Haley's mom came up to do beauty bar. just what I needed. my hair was disgusting, and it was time to wash it. I felt so much better afterwards! we also had a workshop where someone brought their horse up and talked about bridling our passions or something like that. I was paying more attention to the horse. I feel really guilty.
then, we got letters from our parents and read them in personal scripture study. the one from my mom was really amazing. first, she talked about how much she loves playing tennis with me.  that's always a good thing, right? then she went on to say how the temple is a holy place, and how she and Dad have been married for 19 years, and that it is the only place to get married. all 3 of her brothers have been divorced (2 have since been remarried), and they have made choices that have kept them from going to the temple. because of these choices, they haven't been very happy with their lives. she went on about how I need to find a "Moroni Man" (see Alma 48:11-17). and that we need to get married in the temple.

I then realized how important the temple really was. I felt the Spirit so strongly, and decided that my goal is to find a Moroni Man, and to marry him in the temple. I bore my testimony about that, and I admit to bawling my eyes out. but really. I always knew that getting married in the temple was important, but now it is so much more important, and it is the only place where I want to get married.

now, here's some random pictures. and because I have neglected to do so earlier, I will throw in some pictures from Emily's wedding last week! she married Tyson Barnes in the Jordan River Temple on July 6, 2013.
Sabrina and me.... photo courtesy of Abby Miller
 the lovely pillowcase I made. I try to be all crafty and artsy, and the flower just didn't seem like enough. so I got the idea to put the Merm on the side (my friend Jackson gave me that nickname sometime last fall, and it has since stuck!), but the red puffy paint was having problems, I got a big red splat, and I made Haley turn it into a heart. oh well. we tried.
 my secret sister, Nicky, made me this cute pillow.
 and my favorite gift from her was the One Direction photos, of course!
 the beautiful sunset

 Brianna, Sabrina, Camila, and me

 our ward by the temple
some mother-daughter loving going on.
 Emily's wedding. my mom did my hair.

 me and Hannah. she is Tyson's niece, so we aren't related, but she was just too cute and she thought that we were going to be "new cousins!" she went to culdesac of fire with us, and she tells the craziest stories! her sister Aspen and I made fruit kabobs together for the luncheon afterward. such a cute family!
 aunt Nanette and me. and yes I'm taller than her.
 we tried to take a normal picture. but cousin Oliver was pinching me. and Matthew (who is my age) is way taller than the rest of us. so yeah. didn't work out.
 me, Mary, and Savannah- the 3 girl cousins. (Mary is 2 years younger than me. Everyone in her family is tall! I used to give her my old clothes, but now, she's taller than me. and I've stopped growing.)
 and here we have Wes, who is just an inch shorter than me. 


1 comment:

Comments are nice. I like them.