Thursday, April 26, 2012

We'll Beat It!

So, Centennial Idol update: the first week was my best week (Pop/Rock week). I sang Rolling in the Deep by Adele, which is my favorite song of hers ever (besides Make You Feel my Love). It was a very difficult song to pull off, but I managed to do it. I got a lot of cheers, hugs, and votes! At the end, I blew a kiss for fun, and all my guy friends were asking, "Was that for me?" I said "yes" to every single one of them because......yeah, you know. People I never even knew walked up to me and told me how good I did. It was so legit. People were dancing and singing along.

Week 2 was Beatles Week. My friend Colson had asked in advance to get my next song dedicated to him, but I really didn't know what to do. So, I told him "yes" before I even chose my song. My original plan was to do I Wanna Hold Your Hand, but when we drew our songs, someone else chose it, so I had to go with Eight Days a Week. Colson had no idea what the song even was until the day before the performance! But I did it, and my friend Jackson (the student body historian who was hosting) asked me who I was dedicating it to. I surprised everyone (except a few people) and told her (yeah, Jackson's a girl. Get over it!) that it was for Colson. Everyone oohed and cheered, but some people were very shocked (including my parents). All the boys were quite amused (and a few were jealous), knowing that we planned the whole thing. But Colson enjoyed all the attention he was getting, and that got me into the next round. At the end of the performance, Jackson surprised all of the contestants by asking us to do western cowboy dances (will explain later). I had no idea what to do, so I just kind of galloped around up there and pretended to rope some steer. The audience (mainly my parents) died laughing. I swear, I looked so stupid up there! But oh well.

Today was Country Round, and if you know me well, I hate country music with a freaking passion! Let me rephrase that: I like some Taylor Swift (not the overplayed songs), Carrie Underwood, and If I Die Young by The Band Perry. That is actually one of my favorite songs. So, on Monday, when my friend McCall and I were choosing our songs, we both wanted to do that one. But we had a drawing, and I got first choice, and I picked that song. McCall was stuck doing Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland (I could go into my feelings about Sugarland but I won't). But she was nice about it, and we wished each other good luck. She had to go first, and the tech crew messed up her mic and her music, plus, she was very nervous. But because she is incredible, she pulled it off and did a legit job on it. (McCall, if you ever read this, you did fantastic, even though it was really hard.) When the time came for me to sing, I almost died. But once I started singing, I did pretty well. But there wasn't any singing or dancing or cheering or kiss blowing in the middle of the song. I guess that's what I get for doing a slower, more emotional song as opposed to my last 2. I felt that it wasn't my best, but my friends told me otherwise: a lot of them liked it the most!

Voting is done by filling out ballots, and contestants can vote for themselves, which is what most of them do. However, today was not the case. At the end of the assembly, McCall hugged me and told me how well I did. I did the same. Then, she surprised me. She said, "Miriam, because you did so good, I will vote for you!" I cannot express how sweet that was of her to do! I did the same for her. I am so glad that McCall and I are friends, and not only is she an amazing singer, she is one of the nicest girls on this planet.

And guess who made the top 4 for Michael Jackson week?
That's right. This girl and the lovely McCall Rash!

PS. Seussical is this weekend! I'm gonna die.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice!!! Wish I lived close and could come watch you. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are nice. I like them.